Sunday, April 19, 2009

Hair Trial (Amanda's old blog)

Ok so I lied. It turns out that blogging is a really nice way to take a break from studying. So is playing with my hair, apparently.

I've been working on growing my hair out for a while now. I try to do this about once a year, and I usually give up after a certain point and get it cut again. But this time I had a good reason: weddings. I'm going to three weddings this summer, and they're all weddings that I feel pretty close to. One is my stepsister, so obviously that's a big deal. Another is my roommates - so I've been around for a fair bit of the planning process for that. And the last one is my best friend, and I'm the maid of honor. So I want to look nice for all of them. Which means a couple of things, mainly I've been trying to work out, and like I said, I've been growing out my hair.

But there's a problem. I haven't had long hair since I was a kid. And I was a bit of a tomboy growing up. So I don't really know anything about doing hair. So, it's time to experiment.

Now that my hair is reaching shoulder length, I'm noticing it has a bit of a curl to it. So I thought it would be fun to experiment with a curling iron. I kept putting off buying one for myself - for fear that it wouldn't work out. Then, it turned out that my roommate Stacy has one! Enter, the hair trial:

Brandon looked up an instructional video online explaining how to use curling irons. It turns out, if you want the curls to stay for more than five minutes, you have to use hair gel and hairspray. I have neither of those things. So this was a temporary trial.

Before pictures:


So, this is my hair after I slept on it. To be honest, this isn't really a bad hair day. I would consider this 'viable.'



From the side. See how it has some natural curl to it?


And then silly faces started. It's inevitable.


The funniest part of all did not end up on camera, unfortunately. The online tutorial said to section my hair and use clips to hold the sections in place. Well... I don't own hair clips. So we went to the kitchen and used chip clips. We have a ton of them, so it worked nicely. But looked HILARIOUS. Sorry we didn't get any pictures.

But we did get action shots of the actual curling, thanks to Brandon and his wonderful photography skills. My new nickname for him is my 'blogtographer.'


Action shot!


Check out those luxurious curls.

I really have to give some credit to Stacy. She came in halfway through and showed me what I was doing wrong. It helped a LOT.


This is a really good picture of me. Even if the majority of it is bathroom wall.


A view of the back. I had a hard time with the back, it turned out pretty flat. I'm gonna have to work on that.


I really like this picture of me. I might use it for my Facebook profile.


Ok, the finished product:




For some reason, the left side of my head has curlier hair than the right side. Even in the before photos.


The back was sort of a failure. I definitely need to work on that.


So this was more or less a success. My hair looks much better this way than if I just blowdry it and brush it. The nice part was, Even when I brushed the curls out, it still had body and a bit of wave to it.

So I think I'm going to do this for my graduation next week. I went to the drug store when I dropped Brandon off at work and got some gel and hairspray. I'm pretty pumped about it!



Okay, back to studying. This was just a quick break.

No comments:

Post a Comment