Thursday, October 29, 2009

Metal pants

One thing that's troubled me for a while is how I can take what I do to most of my clothing and apply it to a pair of pants. Jackets are easy to modify. So are gloves and boots. But pants? That's tricky.
But I found a way. I got a pair of side-laced leather jeans (which were pretty sweet to begin with), and put a swatch of chainmail under the laces. The result? This:
Initially, I just removed the laces and replaced them with the chainmail, but that made it look too much like a bright silver racing stripe. Not exactly what I'm going for. Putting the laces back in broke it up a little bit more, with a most pleasing result.
I haven't weighed the pants yet, but I estimate they're somewhere about 6-7 pounds.
I don't plan on putting a stock of these up on the store, since I have to buy the pants myself first. However, if anyone wants a pair, I'd be willing to do a commission.

3 comments:

  1. That's a really neat look. I like it. Do you have to wear something under them so the chainmail doesn't chafe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude i will totally buy a pair of these from you! gimme an estimate please monty@montybenton.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. as a medieval re-enactor I point blank need a pair of these.. I get the pants you tell me how much to add the chain.
    lapine.samurai@gmail.com
    also let me know if you can affix the chain to something other than the belt, I need that space available to belt my blade.

    ReplyDelete