Thursday, May 14, 2009

A rookie mistake (Amanda's old blog)

Hello! Sorry it's been so long. Life has been too hectic for crafting. But I did start a knitting project today. I hope to have photos of that later.

I'm just checking in really quickly and uploading some photos for Val to check out.

You know that "H" block print I was doing for her thank-you notes? Well, I made that same rookie mistake I keep making. Yeah, I carved it backwards. You see, when you do a block print, the image should be backwards in the linoleum so it prints frontwards. But it looks so pretty frontwards, I keep carving it that way. I REALLY need to work on that.

But I decided to do a test print anyway, just in case this style isn't what Val wants. So I have some photos. If Val likes them, I will re-carve it (properly) and re-print it. And then I can be done with that hard linoleum block I hate so much. I'm using the soft stuff from now on.

Here are the three prints I did:


Yeah. I know. Backwards H. It's a bit disorienting.


So, there are a few areas I want to touch up. Namely the curve at the bottom - it's not smooth enough, it looks more like an ink droplet. Also the right side (which SHOULD be the left side) is too thick. I could still fix that on this one, actually. And that bottom rectangular part didn't turn out as uniform as I would have liked.

I really think I can fix all these things on a second try. I'm really proud of this print - except for the backwards part, of course.



Ta-ta fa na!

No comments:

Post a Comment