Sunday, May 3, 2009

SUCH a busy weekend... (Amanda's old blog)

But before I dive into my weekend update, some photos from graduation day!

My mom and brother and grandparents came over early for breakfast. I bought bagels and other breakfast food the day before. It was a good way to start the day.

We were all a bit sleepy, but I swear we were having fun!

I curled my hair, it turned out great, especially with the cap on!

I love that necklace.

Here's one of my closest friends, Todd. I sat with him at the ceremony, it made it a lot more fun.

It was rather windy.

Here's my brother Max!

My mom tells me I need to learn to stand properly when wearing heels. I see what she means now. Feet together, one slightly forward, throw your weight back on the back one. Got it.

And my lovely grandparents.



It was a long day, but I'm glad I walked. It helps give a definite end, and mark the occasion.

And as soon as I was done with school, it was time for crafting!
This weekend was Val's bridal shower. I made some cute bingo cards. This was one of the paper crafts I was telling you about last week:


The guests filled in the squares with gifts they thought she might receive, and played as she opened them.
I snipped the corners a la BSG (Battlestar Galactica) and Val noticed! That made me happy.

I also finished up that necklace for her. This is a picture of me modeling it at an early stage. After this was taken, we adjusted the length of a couple of the strands - the big orange button hung in the middle, instead of at the bottom. It was really the focal point of the necklace.


Not a very good picture of me - and obviously my Star of David necklace isn't part of it.
I really have to give all the credit to my mom, she did all the real work on that necklace. Val got a lot of compliments on it at the shower. We're going to fix it up again and probably give it back to val, as much as it pains me (I'm in LOVE with that big orange button!)

It was a crazy weekend, I was crafting during all my free time this weekend (which I didn't have much of). My mom's couch was sort of craft-central:

In case you can't read the labels, on the far left is the purse I bought to match my bridesmaid dress, the notepad on the couch where I should be is a stack of bingo cards I was coloring, the laptop is turned to a bridesmaid blog with etiquette advice (how to interact with the bride's family at the shower), the pile of red buttons is the necklace I made to go with Val's dress for the shower, the tin tray next to it has extra buttons, the little white vases are the centerpieces for the shower (also Val's clue last week) and the notepad on the wicker basket is my to-do list for the weekend.

It was pretty crazy. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures from the shower yet, but hopefully I will be receiving them soon. I'll tell you more about it when I have some photos to share.

My last project I'm working on lately is a block print for Val's wedding (can you sense a theme?), it's an "H" to go on their thank-you cards. I've only just started carving:


The block I'm using is too large, and it has a wood backing, so I'm only using half of it.
It's such an intricate design, I'm so afraid to get started, so I was lazy and just did all the background first, which I usually do last.



I love making that woodgrain-like texture in the background flow with the design. It really makes the design breath. Unfortunately, this is yet another print where they don't want the background texture to appear, so I had to carve deep to eliminate it. But I still like to make flow-y lines, even if it's just for me.
I know it's technically not a paper craft, but it involves paper. Or will eventually, when I finish it.

Hopefully soon I'll have updates about that block print- it's probably the most difficult design I've done yet. We'll see how it goes.

For now, I'm going to go play with the rats (I missed them so much this weekend!) and get to bed. I'm exhausted. And the rats are bored:


Mom! Please play with us!





Goodnight. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment