Sunday, September 13, 2009

Scale mail petal skirt!

I just got back from the renaissance faire this weekend, and I have a few photos of a scale mail petal skirt that I've been working on for the past 2-3 months.
Though I originally intended it to be a miniskirt, it ended up being pretty close to knee length.


As you can see, one of the scales came undone during the course of our adventures at the renaissance faire. The skirt ended up being a bit on the tight side, which was forcing links apart and causing such problems. I'm going to take it apart and expand it by a few scales in order to correct this. I also plan on extending the brass section along the bottom to make it more pronounced, just once I acquire some more brass scales.
The belt was originally intended to hold the skirt, but I found that a drawstring actually accomplished this much more effectively, and now the belt plays a principally decorative role.
Here's a shot from the back:


Altogether, there are about 1400 scales and 3400 rings in the skirt. The belt is an additionally 770 rings of jeweler's brass. The buckle came from Amazon. The total weight of the skirt is 11.4 pounds.
The skirt made quite a stir at the faire; my companion was dragged off at one point to have her picture taken by an official photographer, and I got a couple people who were interested in potentially commissioning one of their own from me. I'm thinking it'll end up being about 250-300 USD, depending on the size of the commissioner and how fancy of materials they want to use.

~Alex, the Metal Artisan

No comments:

Post a Comment