Monday, June 8, 2009

Getting to knooow yooouu....

Amanda, here!

I suppose you have plenty of information about me from the posts I imported from my old blog, so I'll make this brief and give other people a chance to talk.

I just graduated from Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo, Michigan. My bachelor's degree is in Psychology with a minor in Biology. My personal focus was on Neuroscience, however the Psychology department at WMU is very heavily focused in Behaviorism, so I received rigorous training in that, as well.

My crafting history is brief. In high school, my friend Wendy wanted a Harry Potter scarf for Christmas, so I bought some yarn and asked my grandma to show me how to knit. I picked it up very quickly and started knitting big bunches of Harry Potter scarves and selling them to my friends. I will have a couple in our Etsy store when it opens in July, so keep an eye out for that!

While I love knitting, and I'm very fast at it, I don't know how to do much more than the basics - and I definitely can't make clothing yet. Mainly just scarves and blankets. But I'm learning more every day, so we'll see what I come up with!

A few years ago I took an art course where we learned some valuable techniques, among them were linoleum block print carving, book binding, and charcoal. This makes up the majority of the things you'll see from me through Nimble Toad - I plan on making mainly books and customized prints. So, if you're looking for paper goods, I'm the one to talk to.

I love the look and feel of block prints. They've got texture. They pop off the page without dominating the document they're printed on. They interact with the paper, too - you can't just print on computer paper. The paper a block print is printed on has to have character of its own. And I love the crackled look you get when you go light on the ink - it looks as though the paper has history, has a story to tell. It's a time-consuming craft, but I love it.


There are a million new crafts I'd like to learn - watching Val do her embroidery is really inspiring, it's a simple way to personalize something, or really punch up a pattern. I would also like to learn to sew. I want to start small, though - mainly accessories like purses and wallets. The difference for me is that I feel comfortable with linoleum and yarn - I can make anything someone commissions, there isn't really a limit. But with sewing, unless I find some fabric that really inspires me, or a technique that looks interesting... I feel like, at the moment, it's just not going to happen. But who knows? Maybe you'll be seeing a lot more from me in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment