Saturday, June 20, 2009

Introduction: Metal and Leather

Alex here, signing in.
I have two principle crafts: chainmail, and clothing modification. By clothing modification, I specifically mean via the addition of studs, spikes, and other accouterments a la the 1970's punk scene.
Both of these crafts stemmed from the same basic passion: I really, really like heavy metal. There's nothing quite like the melodious meedley-meedly of a good guitar solo to set the soul at ease. About a year and a half ago, I was inspired with the notion of not only metal as music, but metal as a full blown visual aesthetic.
It began with a jacket; I wanted to get a biker style jacket and spike it out until it looked absolutely Beyond Thunderdome. But then I thought to myself, "hey, I need a good belt to go with this. " A belt made of chainmail. And so it began. And so it continued, until I looked like this.


The gloves have since been covered in chainmail as well.
Anyways, this goal of looking like a heavy metal album cover designed by He-Man villains has developed into an ever-expanding pursuit of craftsmanship. I've recently taken up leatherworking, and plan on learning metalworking and blacksmithy at some point in the coming months.
I've got a Deviantart gallery up here.
Most of what I've made has been recorded there in varying degrees of agreeable lighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment